Basic anatomy knowledge tells us that muscles are made up of elastic tissue. These elastic tissues are anchored to our bones by tendons. A muscle strain occurs when these inelastic tendons are overloaded or exposed to too much stress. Muscle strains are divided into three:
- First-degree muscle strain – these are mild muscle sprains. One usually experiences minor pain and swelling. In rare cases, one can experience a little dysfunction.
- Second-degree muscle strain – these are moderate muscle sprains. They exhibit the same symptoms as first-degree muscle strain coupled with a limp.
- Third-degree muscle strain – these are severe muscle strains. One is not able to walk after such a strain. You will experience stiffness and muscle spasms. This form of strain may need physical therapy for effective treatment.
Should you experience any form of strain, promptly visit True Way Physical Therapy for assessment and treatment by a qualified physical therapist in Port Chester, NY. This will speed up your recovery time and the physical therapists at True Way Physical Therapy will show you how to prevent future muscle sprains.
Causes of Muscle Strains
You can get muscle strains from enduring trauma or sustaining injuries. A muscle strain can also be caused by:
- Failure to stretch and warm up before physical exercise or sports.
- Overexertion of muscles
- Overworking the body
- Poor posture and bodily movements
- Overindulging in physical exercises or sports
By undertaking your therapy at True Way Physical Therapy, you give yourself access to a more effective treatment program for muscle strains. The facility is full of qualified therapists who will help treat the injury. They will put you through a regimen that will help with inflammation and pain in the affected area. They will also use x-ray scans to determine the strain level.
For successful treatment, the physical therapists at True Way Physical Therapy will come up with a custom physical therapy regimen depending on the degree of muscle strain. The exercises you will be doing will strengthen your muscles and improve your range of movement. The therapists will also recommend that you do the exercises in moderation over a set period. They will also give you tips on how to avoid muscle strains in future. Visit our offices in Port Chester, NY for more information.